Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Double Up

Glancing at the syllabus today made me realize that I'm one post short here so I'm going to follow up a bit on the last one by providing links to two books about math that I've really enjoyed. The first is Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea by Charles Seife which chronicles the origins and history of the number and all that it represents, including the concept of nothingness and its complement infinity.

The second book is The Mystery of the Aleph by Amir Aczel. This work follows the many mind-bending discoveries (the bulk of which dealt with properties of infinity) of mathematician Georg Cantor and the lapses into madness which too often followed.

If anyone is actually reading this sorry excuse for a blog, I hope you feel compelled to pick one or both of these books up.

No comments:

Post a Comment